Happy Tuesday and happy September everyone! I figured I should get this out of the way right now: Research sucks!!
There, I said it. Oh my god, I cannot believe how annoying and tough research for a book could be. Of course, I’m talking about my beloved Spirit Hackers and my work on re-writing the thing. Last week I didn’t get too far with only a few small items falling into place. In the past three days I’ve been trying to figure out a key item of the story and doing over two hundred Google searches. Unfortunately none of these seem to yield any results.
Without divulging too much, the issue seems to stem from my idea being unconventional. While I’ve seen similar things in two different TV shows, I realized that it’s never explained and it isn’t essential to the story. It just exists and is accepted. My wife brought up a great point saying that sci-fi fans will have no problems with this method but if I’m aiming for a more mainstream audience (which I am) then I need to get this logistically figured out. Additionally, once this is figured out, I have to make sure it fits in with another key point to the plot. Once these are hammered out, the story is pretty much ready to go and I think I can begin writing it.
Until then, I remain in a deadlock as to how to make the whole story work with my original idea. I feel like I’m trying out dozens of puzzle pieces to find the one that just naturally fits into the hole. I know it’s out there and that I will figure it out, but I need to do more homework and learn more in order to create the catalyst needed. All I can say is that it is exciting to have so much of the book figured out but it’s equally annoying to know that I have such a key factor still in limbo.